Sunday, February 20, 2011

Foodie (aka the post in which I use a lot of parenthesis)

So it's no secret on this blog, despite that it's supposed to be about fashion from a rocket scientist's perspective, that this rocket science fashion fan is also a foodie.  Now, I use that term loosely.  No, I do not cook myself gourmet meals for dinner every night (or even weekly really).  No, I do not travel far distances and spend vast amounts of money on celebrity chef dinners out (LA traffic and a budget tightly stretched between rent and clothes prevent it).  However I appreciate good food.  I really do.  I also appreciate quick food, convenient food, healthy food, nostalgic food, etc.  Basically, this girl loves to eat, cook, and bake, but I'm realistic with how they fit into my life.  So it's no surprise to anyone that I love reading food blogs.  In addition to Joy the Baker (the most delightful LA baking blog ever!), I read Serious Eats daily.  Thankfully, last month Serious Eats decided to have an international meetup day.  Meetups in cities all over for the fans of the website.  Food fans getting together over a good meal to talk about food!  I was excited but couldn't go the day it was scheduled.  To my luck, the LA group had so much fun that they decided to make it a monthly event!  I met up with the group last night for dinner at Malo.  I was unfortunately, due to poor planning on my part, an hour late, but the group was still welcoming, and the restaurant served my friend Jen (that I dragged along for moral support in case the group was weird or I couldn't find them) and me extremely quick.  The food and company were both fantastic.  I'm very excited to more monthly meetups, even if I have to miss March because of my work trip (btw please read and comment on my other post today!!!).  I won't even drag along Jen, unless of course she wants to go.  Now what was the point of this post, other than to confess my love of food and reading about food?  To tell you about the great new sites I learned of from the people I met at the meetup of course!

First up, a new food blog to follow.  Vegetarian Foodie is written by Kelly, the organizer of the LA Serious Eats meetup group.  I may be an omnivore, but I still appreciate meatless meals.  I added this one to my blogroll, and I look forward to her posts.

Second, back onto the main topic of this blog, fashion.  I sat next to Tina at dinner and found out that she designs accessories.  Her line, Della, is made in Ghana, supporting the community that inspired the line.  The clutch she had at dinner was really nice!  You have to check Della out!
Image from shop.dellala.com

3 comments:

  1. So great to meet you... hope to see you in 2 months!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great to meet you too! I look forward to the next meetup I can go to.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey, know About Emily wickersham, a special agent? Visit Our page Emily wickersham, a special agent (ncis) CelebrityPing

    ReplyDelete