Monday, February 1, 2010

Review of Food For Life Bread

I saw a new doctor today, and he gave me a few new diet suggestions that may help me feel better.  The list he wrote out for me only had 4 bullets of types of foods to try eliminating from my diet.  Easy, right?  Oh no.  He somehow managed to write down pretty much my whole diet.  1 - All milk and dairy products, including milk, yogurt, ice cream, and cheese.  2 - Cabbage, broccoli, cauliflower, lentils, beans, and salads.  3 - Wheat.  4 - Dietetic sugars.  Okay number 4 is easy.  I put away my sugar free gum.  I never did like diet sodas anyways, so I can start that one today.  Number 1 makes me sad.  I LOVE cheese.  And yogurt.  And ice cream, cream sauces on things, butter, etc, etc.  The only part of that I can easily do is milk.  I can't stand the taste of milk, and I love the taste of soy milk.  Number 3 eliminates the staples of my daily diet.  I recently discovered roasting broccoli ... best veggie ever.  Okay so this is going to be hard, but I can do it....wait, does number 3 say WHEAT?  I thought about this for a moment...flour is wheat.  Everything has wheat!  Luckily I had a successful shopping trip at Trader Joe's.  It was expensive, but I managed to buy almost all things that meet those rules.  (The chicken stirfry has broccoli and the tomato soup has milk...I tried.)  I love bread.  My favorite snack/dessert at home is toast with nutella.  So I bought bread.  Food For Life Wheat and Gluten Free Bread.  This is possibly the densest loaf of bread I've ever picked up.  Ever.  I tried it tonight.  I was slightly afraid what would happen when I toasted it, but it turned out fine, aka not burnt.  I have to say, it's not bad.  Yes, it is dense, but it has a nutty, sweet flavor.  Too bad that dense sweet flavor totally overpowers my nutella.  From now on, nutella will either be served on a spoon or I will have to try another wheat free vehicle for it.  As for this bread, it will make good sandwiches...without butter or cheese or lettuce.  And if anyone has any stellar recipe or meal ideas that meet all those rules, send them my way!  I'll need ideas.

No comments:

Post a Comment