Sunday, January 2, 2011

Pantry Black Bean Soup

Tonight I was faced with chilly, rainy weather and an empty kitchen since I just got back into town.  I didn't want to venture out into the rain, so I prepared my own spin on my mom's refried bean soup recipe.  It's perfect for days like today because all of the ingredients are pantry items.  It's also extremely customizable to your tastes.  I forgot to take a picture of the soup today (I was too hungry and it was too yummy!) so hopefully I'll remember tomorrow...leftovers look just as pretty I'm sure.

Update (1/4/11): It looks just as yummy as it tastes, especially finished with lime and avocado!


Pantry Black Bean Soup

2 cans 99% fat free refried black beans
1 can (2 cups) chicken broth
1 can mild Rotel tomatoes
1 can fire-roasted diced tomatoes with garlic
1 cup chopped onion
1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
1 can mexi-corn, drained

In a stock pot over medium heat, combine the refried beans and 1 cup of the broth, stir until combined.  Add remaining ingredients, bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer covered on low for about 30 minutes.

Nutrition information for 1 cup of soup:
136 calories, 1 g fat, 25 g carbs, 5.7 g fiber, 7.4 g protein
Recipe makes 13 cups of soup

I typically eat about 2 cups of this soup at a time personally.

I didn't have anything to top it with, but it would be good with all sorts of toppings - low fat sour cream, reduced fat mexican blend cheese, avocado slices, squeeze of lime juice, tortilla chips, or jalapenos.

Note: all cans used were normal sizes, about 15 ounces, except Rotel which is smaller.

1 comment: