Sunday, March 28, 2010

Frugal Eating

In order to save money this week, I tried to cook as many of my meals as possible.  Some of the highlights - smoothies made with frozen fruit and greek yogurt, caramelized bananas, and Moroccan chicken.  The smoothies I made with fruit that I toss in the freezer right before it gets too ripe to eat (bananas and strawberries this week), low fat plain greek yogurt, soy milk, and honey.  They're so tasty!  The caramelized bananas I threw together one night when I wanted dessert (and I hadn't put all of the bananas from the bunch in the freezer yet).  The moroccan chicken I made because I love moroccan food.  I find that it's hard to find moroccan food that isn't super expensive in restaurants though.  Luckily this was fairly easy to make and super flavorful!
Caramelized Bananas

Moroccan Chicken and couscous

Recipes: 
Moroccan Chicken from Recipezaar made with 1.5 lbs boneless skinless chicken thighs, 1 can chickpeas, 1 can tomatoes, 1 onion, 1 carrot, remaining recipe as written.  Made in a crock pot on low for 7 hours.  Couscous is Archer Farms brand.

Caramelized Bananas:
1 ripe banana sliced, chopped pecans, maple syrup, and Southern Comfort liquor sauteed until soft and caramel-like.  Finished with sea salt.

1 comment: