Sunday, June 13, 2010

Weekend Creations

A few pictures of things I made this weekend...
First up, centerpieces for my balcony table.  I am currently obsessed with mason jars.  This didn't turn out exactly as I had envisioned it, but it works.  I was going for white sand with amber gems that catch the light, but I was limited to the vase filler options that Michael's carries.  Also, the candles I used smell amazing, and the lids will keep the candles from getting ruined by the elements.
  
Jars and candles: Cost Plus World Market
Sand and pebbles: Michael's Crafts

Now onto the food...
I made a snack out of the half bunch of white radishes that I got in this week's CSA bag.  I sliced the radishes and sauteed them in butter.  I added the tops to the pan as well.  With some salt and pepper, it was a great snack.  I highly recommend trying cooked radishes, they're much milder than raw radishes.

The highlight of this weekend's cooking was making something from this post on Joy the Baker's blog.  I picked the Apple Pie Granita because I thought I could make it with Splenda and not violate my doctor's recommendation of avoiding high sugar foods.  Fyi, I will not be making anything with Splenda again.  The taste of the fake sweetener is too noticeable.  I still enjoyed the recipe, but next time I will use real sugar.  Also you'll notice in the picture, I used my ice cream maker to make this more of a sorbet than a granita.

Now, this isn't exactly cooking, but it's beautiful.  Fresh farmer's market strawberries drizzled with local honey.  I had them with breakfast today.  Heaven!

No comments:

Post a Comment