Sunday, May 1, 2011

Spring Bronchitis

I considered titling this post "Urgent Care Chic", but then I decided to include the soup I made today too.

This morning I went to urgent care to find out if my bronchitis had turned into pneumonia since I was having pain with deep breaths.  Thankfully it wasn't busy, and the doctor on duty was a pulmonologist.  I had a chest x-ray, and it is not pneumonia.  Somehow after a month, I still just have bronchitis but now with back pain from coughing so hard and so much.  I got an antibiotic this time, and I'm going to focus on just resting as much as possible this week.  Oh, and I thought I'd be the only person in the hospital this morning in a dress and heels, but I was wrong.  I picked out this dress bc it was super comfortable, but there were plenty of women dressed nice or at least presentable.  Oh I love LA!  There's even fashion in the hospital.
Top: Victoria's Secret Pink
Dress & necklace: Forever 21
Shoes: Bass

Also, when I arrived back to my apartment on Friday, the formal gown I ordered from HauteLook had finally arrived.  The verdict?  It's beautiful, but the fit is horrible.  The tailor can do a lot to fix it, but closing the zipper takes an act of god and it can't be let out.  I have to lose a few pounds before Memorial Day weekend!  I can't work-out while I still have bronchitis, so I'm focusing on my diet.  Tonight I made an asparagus soup.  It's spring in a bowl!
Asparagus & Potato Soup

1 carton of chicken or vegetable broth
handful chopped onion
1 bunch of asparagus
1 potato
salt
pepper
olive oil

Microwave or bake potato until cooked (mine was already wrapped up with instructions to microwave for 7 minutes) then let cool.  In a saucepan, boil a handful of chopped onion in the broth for 7 minutes.  While onion cooks, wash and snap off woody ends of the asparagus.  Cut off tips and set aside.  Cut bottoms into 1/2 inch pieces.  Add 1/2 inch pieces of asparagus to the onion and broth.  Cook for 3 minutes.  Peel potato and cut into chunks.  In batches, blend the soup and potato chunks until very smooth.  Put pureed soup back into the saucepan over medium-low heat.  Add the asparagus tips.  Season with salt & pepper to taste.  When heated through and tips are cooked to your liking, serve with a light drizzle of olive oil.

Although I only used one bunch of asparagus this time, I'll use two next time.  I liked the potato taste, but I'd want the asparagus taste to stand out more next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment