Friday, February 5, 2010

Shopping!

I'm in the process of cleaning out my overly full closet, so I had vowed not to shop for clothes too much for quite a while.  Unfortunately, while cleaning out my closet, I realized that the reason I pretty much only wear one pair of pants and one cardigan to work over and over again isn't because I'm in a rut - it's all I have that fits.  So I shopped around online, set a budget, and set goals.

The goals: 3 cardigans, 2 pairs of pants, a black or grey belt
The stores: American Eagle, Forever 21, H&M, Old Navy, Target
Prices: $20 cardigans, $35 pants, $10 belt
Total budget: ~$150 (tax is almost 10% here, so I'm allowing myself to go slightly over that if its just for tax)

I hit up the mall tonight, and I did pretty well.  American Eagle didn't have the cardigan I've been eyeing, and the boyfriend jean I was hoping would work for casual Fridays looked horrid on me.  I didn't make it in Forever 21 because my phone rang, and their music is much too loud to carry on a conversation.  H&M was frustrating - I tried on at least 15 pairs of pants, but I was successful.  The pants need tailored, but that's normal for me (5'1").  What I bought:
AE Cardigan Jacket - very warm and cozy

AE Shawl Collar Skinny Cardigan - I bought this in grey and ivory stripes

AE Plaid Ruffle Hem Tunic - Okay this wasn't on the list but it was cute and cheap!  I'll make it work for both weekend and work.  (I've been eyeing this on the AE website for quite awhile too.)

American Eagle total: ~$50 - everything was on clearance!

At H&M, I bought two pairs of khaki pants - a flare cut in navy and a straight leg in black.  Both need hemmed, but the navy will also need slimmed down (flares aren't flattering on me).  Luckily from the calves up, the navy pants fit like they were made for me. 

H&M total: ~$65 - nothing on sale here

So far, I've spent $115, bought 2 cardigans and 2 pairs of pants (plus a bonus tunic).  With only $35 left in my work clothes budget, will I find a belt and another cardigan?  Or are 3 cardigans enough for one work wardrobe? (I have a brown one in addition to the new navy and grey/ivory.)  Any other suggestions on where to shop for belts?

No comments:

Post a Comment